October 10, 2009

Let your light shine

Wes finally had the opportunity to coach soccer and it was time for K's team to choose a team name. The vote was tied between "The Lights" and "The Pumas." From the sidelines, I couldn't figure out why K and his friend were campaigning so hard for "The Lights." At first I thought they must be saying "the lions" because that would definitely be a more intimidating name, but I was wrong. After the second round of voting, it was clear that intervention was needed to speed up the process. One of the dads shouted from the bleachers, "How about 'The Lightning'?' The team cheered, the coaches looked relieved and the parents were anxious to get home for dinner. The decision had been made...with no tears or tantrums! Go Lightning!!


On the way home, I thought to ask K why he wanted to be called "The Lights." With as much certainty as any 5 yr old could muster, he explained it to me as if he couldn't believe why I didn't already know. "Mom, you know...like the light of Jesus!"

Be still my heart.

The Lighting finished the season having scored only 1 goal all season, but they sure had fun! Wes is a great coach: fun, patient, encouraging. He spends time designing lesson plans that teach skills, build bodies and train hearts. I'm sure this won't be the last time he wears a whistle around his neck.

Here are some of the highlights from the season:

Team prayer


K in action

K was so excited when his team scored their first goal and finished the last game of the season 1-0, their first victory (not that we keep score). To be honest, it was a true answer to his prayers. The night before he prayed, "Lord, help us to be safe, have fun, share the love of Jesus and SCORE A GOAL!"


Presentation of medal

Great job, Lightning! "Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father who is in heaven." Matthew 5:16