August 2, 2009

Ring bears

My sister L got married this past weekend and the boys were ringbearers. When I first told K that he was going to be in the wedding, he said, "What's a ring bear?" After trying to explain it to him, I realized they should really call them "pillow bearers" because no sane bride would trust a 3 year old little boy with the real wedding rings.
To be honest, I was a bit nervous. Would they scream? run down the aisle? throw the pillow? knock each other over? start wrestling in the aisle?

Well, here's how M was most of the day:
See that face? The boys were up late the night before and didn't get a nap on the wedding day. K was mostly agreeable but "grumpy" would be an understatement for M. Seconds before walking down the aisle, he was on the verge of a temper tantrum. Then he tried to escape out the side door of the church and bumped his head on the door handle. (Did I mention this was seconds before we were supposed to walk down the aisle?)

Immediately after the ceremony, M went to give the flower girl a hug. The only problem was that he had a mouthful of melted chocolate (my fault: I confess to bribing him). Oh, and the fact that he decided it would be a good idea to stick out his tongue in the middle of the hug!

White dress.
Brown smudge.
Right in the middle of the dress.
Right before pictures.

I won't mention the punching or throwing or refusal to eat dinner (yes, I did stick to my guns and NOT let the boy have wedding cake).

I mentioned that K was "agreeable" and he was, but not without incident. At one point, he pulled the flower off of the flowergirl's dress. And I had to tell him to stop running and sliding on his knees...in his tuxedo.

Despite all that, my little men in black did an awesome job during the 30 minutes that really counted. Their walk down the aisle was precious. As soon as they started to walk, K looked at one of the guests and said, "I'm looking for my Daddy." About halfway down, K put his arm around M. It was adorable. During the ceremony, I didn't hear one peep from them...except for the occassional "amen."

All in all, my little "ring bears" did a great job, but I am relieved that it's over. And we did manage to take one decent family picture.
At the reception, the boys danced like crazy. The Cotton Eyed Joe, Chicken Dance, YMCA. You name it, they did it. K spent the first hour of the reception trying to convince the flower girl to dance with him. Persistence paid off.
L, you were absolutely stunning! I hope your special day was everything you expected and more. Uncle K, we are so excited to welcome you to the family. On the day before the wedding, K said, "I'm so excited because tomorrow I'm going to have 3 uncles." Congrats Mr. and Mrs. R! We love you both!